European Movement Albania is an independent, non-profit organization, combining think tank and advocacy instruments. EMA was established in February 2007, in response to Albania’s increased efforts at speeding up the process of preparing for EU accession. EMA regards European Integration as largely beneficial but recognizes that in many respects the process does not work well. Therefore we aim to promote new ideas for improving the policy development process.
EMA is a forum for exchange of views on political, economic and social challenges that Albania is facing. It is devoted to encourage and strengthen the present democratic experiences, by promoting democratic values during the policy making process, analysis and implementation of public policies in the country. It attempts at making the policy-making process more transparent and open, and responsive to the public interest, offering alternative suggestions based on evidenced research. EMA’s programme areas are:
– Promotion of European values and European Integration process of Albania
– Democracy and good governance
– Economic and social dimensions of EU integration
– Regional cooperation
Considering the needs and challenges of the Albanian society in this transformation process, as well as EMA goals, its work is focused on:
- policy research, analysis, advice and advocacy;
- capacity building and training;
- public debates and policy forums;
- developing monitoring indicators on certain issues of significant importance for the public.
EMA has its organizational structure located in Tirana, and Local Coordinators in the main cities of Albania, such as Vlora, Shkodër, Elbasan and Korça. EM Albania has more than 300 young individual members registered as EMA’s Supporters. EMA is a member of European Movement International (EMI)